Drum roll please… The Mediterranean Lifestyle!
The Mediterranean Lifestyle is more than a diet or healthy eating plan. It’s a way of life that feeds our body, soul, and spirit when we embrace each part of it!
I’ve taught and studied whole food healthy eating for over 25 years. I’ve researched how Jesus ate. Although I’ve certainly heard of the Mediterranean diet, I never thought of it as a lifestyle affecting every part of us!
Focusing on a healthy lifestyle for Wellness makes so much sense! It’s no coincidence that the Mediterranean lifestyle is exactly how Jesus lived while on Earth. Remember Jesus lived without diet books to read, or the internet to browse, or “experts” hawking their wares.
And He lived a perfect life while being human in the same ways we are. He had feelings and emotions. Hurt and joy. Loved, yet He was also hated. I would imagine He got tired–tired enough to sleep in a small boat on choppy seas. Maybe some days He didn’t feel good.
We know He was tempted.
We’ve come full circle, my friends. This article confirms what the Bible has already made clear:
After evaluating over 40 of the most popular diets from around the world, US News designated the Mediterranean diet as the best overall plan, followed by the DASH and the Flexitarian diets respectively. The Mediterranean diet also ranked number one in the following subcategories: best diet for healthy eating, best plant-based diet, best diet for diabetes and easiest diet to follow. (taken from All About Arizona News)
While the researchers use the term “diet,” following a Mediterranean lifestyle is really far more than a diet.
The Mediterranean diet or lifestyle meets all of the criteria I look for when teaching a Wellness class. (I’m teaching both adults and kids this semester! Talk about variety of inputs and questions!) A Mediterranean lifestyle can be followed anywhere: In a city, on the farm, any place, it works like a charm. (Ok, I confess. I just saw Mary Poppins…)
I’d like to close with the article’s conclusions, so you will know we are on solid footing.
- A Mediterranean Diet helps PREVENT (the key to good health!) heart disease, cancer, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease.
- The focus is to eat Whole Foods, as natural as possible, seasoned with olive oil, herbs and spices, and sea salt.
- Nothing is OFF LIMITs, but the focus is on variety and (naturally) healthier choices.
- This style of eating, with its emphasis on eating real (not boxed) food, can be adapted for almost any lifestyle: meat-eating, vegetarian, or vegan (no animal products whatsoever).
- It is a lifestyle, not a short-term diet.
- Perhaps the BEST part is this is the way God created us to eat: quality food as close to nature as possible, that’s easy to prepare and readily available.
- Research shows the cost of eating this way is actually less than the way most of us eat now. Each person will save an average of $750 a year! (For a family of 4, that is $3000. Can anyone visualize a VACATION with that kind of money?!?!) Along with better health, fewer doctor visits, and weight-loss? I can!
Here’s another huge plus for we breast cancer survivors:
According the Mayo Clinic, women who eat a Mediterranean diet supplemented with extra-virgin olive oil and mixed nuts may have a reduced risk of breast cancer.
We’ll start with food next week, because a Mediterranean lifestyle focuses on healthy eating.
Have a blessed week, my friends.